February 20, 2013

Fresh Egg

Started chip carving a "fresh egg" this morning.  The beginning is always the most anxiety producing of the whole project.  It's when I find out if there is enough moisture content in the piece and if my hand is steady and confident.  Otherwise I get what are called "break outs" which are unsightly and unforgiving. 

I can always glue back in any "break outs" but I have a personal competition that I adhere to and that is that all my cuts will be clean and original.  That never happens but the challenge keeps me focused, lol, (read scared breathless) and my blood pressure up!!  It is a nerve wracking process but well worth the effort. 

It all seems to hinge on my ability to stay in the "here and now".  If I start to worry too much about the chip breaking out I loose focus and start to question my ability.  If I am worrying about something in the future I am not paying attention to the present and that is when I make mistakes.  Awareness, breathing and relaxation are key ingredients in the complete process.  When I am aware and confident, I can feel the difference, physically, through the whole chip carving process and the end result just seems that much better. 




Here is the beginning of the process.  The egg is marked out and ready to start the chip carving process. 












Here are the first few cuts and completed chips.  Things are going well.  Moisture content seems to be good and the knife is moving through the material freely and smoothly. 











Here is another shot of the first chips and the knife I use for the work.  I use a textured, rubber coated, clove for a more comfortable and safe grip on the egg.  It is a medium size egg and the smooth surface is difficult to hang on to when cutting without some sort of aid.  It also helps with the anxiety of cutting.  If I don't have to worry about the egg slipping in my hand that is just one more thing to help with the confidence of working the chips and the overall process of creating a chip carved egg. 



Here is a pic of the completed top of the egg.  I am breathing again (grin), and pleased with the results so far.  I've a ways to go to complete the egg but the start has been good and the project feels good to this point.  From here I work down the egg to the bottom.  Most of the design is already done but I always leave areas that I can create as I go.  It adds a bit of drama to the process and I don't get bored as quickly if I can create some as I go along.  I also like the sense of spontaneity and freshness it allows in the chip carving process.  


No comments:

Post a Comment