February 3, 2014

Hind Sight Perspective: Laments of an Artist Entrepreneur, or Coming to Terms With ADD and Discipline


When I started this venture, a year ago, I was naive and more than a bit ignorant of what exactly I was heading into.  Now, a year later -- I'm just a year older!!   I thought that time and desire would be enough to get things rolling. After all I just wanted to supplement my retirement with sales from the things I like to create.   It was a good idea but it was soon obvious that with no plan or direction other than just working on stuff and creating here and there nothing was getting done and the whole thing felt like a bad pin ball game.  Ideas were ricocheting off anything that was in the way.  Nothing was steady, everything was in flux.   I had some pieces done and ready to go but -- go where -- I had no idea.  I sold one piece on ETSY in all this time.  Lots of looks but no takers.  My ADD was having a heyday, and my anxiety was looking for a high place!!  I had to market, be more visible. 

I assumed that starting an ETSY page would be the panacea and I would soon be so busy I wouldn't know what to do. I assumed that all it would take was to put "it" "out there" and I would be crazy busy in no time.  I was still in "hobby" mode and no matter how much I wanted to believe, I still couldn't get it in my heart that this stuff was worth anything more than fun.  Why would anyone want to give me money for something that I so much enjoy doing?  Social Media is calling to me and I have no idea what to do with it.  The learning curve is turning into a terrifying roller-coaster ride and I hate roller-coaster rides!!  So I figure I can jump off, or take a deep seat, grab the nite-latch and hang on.  It's gonna be a great ride!!  

So, I have resigned myself to define this whole thing as a major work in progress.  If you want you can ride along.  I would enjoy the company.  If not -- who would blame you?  Heeheeheehee. 


                                 
                   

















No comments:

Post a Comment