February 9, 2014

Tea Time ---

Okay, now.  Here I am on this early February weekend wondering if it will ever warm up again.  I realize that this is Winter in the Midwest and Minnesota has a reputation to uphold as the place where people learn to enjoy winter or self banish  to the warmer reaches of the continent with so many other extreme weather ex-pats -- like Arizona and Southern California (SoCal) -- complete with photos of white knobby knees, huge smiles and "wish-you-were-here" post cards signifying a total lack of guilt for jumping ship and leaving the rest of us to our miseries. 

So, I do what makes sense --  I make Tea.  Tea time, the act of purposefully pausing from current activities to make and drink Tea, is not in my personal cultural background.  I am Italian, Scandinavian and German so Coffee is my normal drug of choice,  but "Tea" has a sophisticated, almost civilized connotation at this totally primal, survivalist time of life!  After all, my Viking ancestors are roiling in Valhalla at my total lack of courage and fortitude.  I am a disgrace to the clan and have not earned the right to don reverse furs and leather boots ------  I have lost my ability to scoff at the discomfort of a frozen face and other important extremities as battle scares of a hearty stock or, at the very least, senseless competition among peers of who is the most foolhardy!  The mug of mead heated with a red hot copper rod fresh from the fire sounds satisfying enough, but I would be shunned for even thinking it.  So, I quietly slip out the side the Great Hall filled to bedlam with its raucous Coventry of boasts and challenges, and make my way to the cozy workshop in the corner of the barn.  I make my Tea and savor its full bodied scent, close my eyes and dream of warm winds, gentle breezes and Sunshine.  And when I'm done, I will spend the afternoon carving!!  ;) 

Take care all.  Stay warm, happy and safe!   Spring is just around the corner.  It's just that the snow to the corner is still pretty deep yet!!  Have some Tea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment